Horizon Science Academy | Education
Founded in 2005 in the former building of South East Ohio College, Horizon Science Academy of Cincinnati Science Academy of Cincinnati is a public charter school that provides its students with an innovative world class education, rich in math, science and technology focused on preparing students to become bold inquirers, problem solvers and ethical leaders, skill-ready for post-secondary education to meet the challenges of a competitive global workforce.
Walk through the doors of our school and you would feel a palpable sense of something unique and strong. Students’ faces of all nationalities, race, economic backgrounds and scholastic levels exude unspoken confidence. Hallways buzz with excitement and the moment you are introduced to the students and faculty, it becomes clear that this is a school that changes lives.
We have a culture built on a common set of values, student, teacher, and parent accountability, and high expectations all resulting in high levels of student achievement. Our administrators, teachers and guardians have high expectations of our students and students have high expectations of their teachers.
There is a sense of teamwork involving everyone from parents, administrators, businesses and bus drivers. Everyone is working toward a single goal; student achievement. Our teachers have a thirst for teaching and students develop a thirst for learning. Uncertain futures brim with unlimited opportunity in our school. Our students sparkle when talking about their school, their success and their future.
The mission of Horizon Science Academy Cincinnati is to create a learning community in which:
- Teachers, parents and students work together to develop young people who are confident and achieve academic excellence in a powerful college prep curriculum;
- Students do not question “whether” they will go to college, but instead ask “when” and “where”;
- Students understand that with hard work, dreams are possible;
- Students develop the skills in math, science, and technology necessary to become bold inquirers, analytical thinkers, and ethical leaders in the 21st century; and
- Students are empowered to become productively engaged in the local community and broader society.
We create a school culture that is built on success, respect, and accountability. The founders of Horizon Science Academy Cincinnati recognize that the success of students is dependent upon the school’s ability to create a culture that fosters meaningful, sustained relationships between teachers, students, and parents and holds all stakeholders responsible for outcomes.
It is this culture that forms the foundation of our school. Horizon Science Academy Cincinnati builds this culture from the point of first contact with families and throughout the students’ academic experience.
Vision of Horizon Science Academy Cincinnati:
- 90 % or above in Math and English in state tests
- 95 % student retention, attendance, and promotion
- Establish an effective character education program embedded in curriculum
- High staff retention rate
- Excellent parent and student satisfaction
- Provide engaging, diverse, and effective extracurricular activities
- Productive community involvement